The Institute has 4 categories of individual membership. Individuals may apply to join as either Ordinary or Associate Member. Fellow and Honorary Fellow membership are by invitation only. From time to time, the Governing Council may invite individuals who have met the prescribed criteria to be a Fellow or an Honorary Fellow. Overseas applicants can join SID as an Ordinary or Associate Member under the Global Associate Scheme, subject to eligibility.
No person shall be invited to be admitted as a Member and the Membership Admission Committee shall not so consider any application for membership if the applicant:
- is prohibited under the Companies Act, Cap.50 from acting as a director; or
- is an undischarged bankrupt whether in Singapore or elsewhere; or
- is deemed to be insolvent within the meaning of applicable legislation in Singapore; or
- is, in the opinion of the Governing Council, not a fit and proper person to be admitted as a Member.
The following are criteria of each type of individual membership:
Admission to the category of Ordinary Members may be made by an applicant who at the time of the application
- is or has been a director or alternate director for at least two (2) years' standing in any corporation; or
- is a senior executive for at least three (3) years' standing in a corporation which is listed on any stock exchange or a statutory board or a regulatory body in any part of the world with managerial responsibilities equivalent to those of an executive director; or
- is an academic personnel of assistant professor level or equivalent or a partner or sole proprietor or senior manager or equivalent of a professional practice (e.g. accountants, advocates and solicitors) with at least three (3) years' involvement or professional practice in matters relating to corporations and corporate governance generally; or
- is an Associate Member who has completed a Company Directors' Course organised by the Institute.
- in the opinion of the Governing Council, by virtue of his/her expertise, experience, standing or stature in the community, ought to be admitted as a Ordinary Member notwithstanding that the individual has not satisfied the prescribed conditions stated above.
Admission to the category of Associate Members may be made by an applicant who:
- does not meet the criteria required of an Ordinary Member; or
- has enrolled in a Company Directors' Course organized by the Institute.
The Company Directors Course shall mean such a course of study or a combination of several modules or courses of studies organized or recognised by the Institute for the training of company directors.
View Individual Membership Fees
By invitation only.
The Governing Council may invite any individual to be a Fellow of the Institute who:
- in the opinion of the Governing Council, has had such substantial experience which renders him/her a source of inspiration, guidance and leadership to the general membership and who at the time of the invitation: –
- is a director for at least ten (10) years’ standing in any corporation which is listed on any stock exchange or any corporation or nonprofit organisation in any part of the world or a size which the Governing Council deems appropriate; or
- is an academic personnel of associate professor level or equivalent or a partner or sole proprietor of a professional practice (e.g. accountants, advocates & solicitors) with at least ten (10) years' involvement in matters relating to corporations and corporate governance generally.
- in the opinion of the Governing Council, by virtue of his/her expertise, experience, standing or stature in the community, ought to be admitted as a Fellow notwithstanding that the applicant has not satisfied the prescribed conditions stated above.
By invitation only.
The Governing Council may invite any individual who, in its opinion, has so distinguished himself/herself through his/her contributions, whether directly or indirectly, in the shaping and building up of high standards of corporate governance and best practice in Singapore and whose achievements would serve as a source of inspiration and guidance to the general membership to be an Honorary Fellow of the Institute.
BACK JOIN NOW!